Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Clean out the Fridge Brownies

I know at first this may not sound delicious, but trust me, it is. Much better than than clean out the fridge casserole your mom always used to make. Of course, the actual cleaning out part required that you have the kind of leftovers that a crazy baker like me has, because spaghetti just doesn't go well with chocolate. But leftovers or no, I've found that just about anything (within reason, remember no spaghetti) can be added to brownies to make them incredibly delicious. I know that baking is supposed to be a science, extremely precise and all, but that's just not how I cook. So far I haven't had too many major catastrophes. Just start with a basic brownie recipe (I used Alton Brown this time, because I happened to randomly choose it) or even a box, and start adding anything and everything delicious. Some of my favorites are pudding (actually made or just the mix), caramel sauce, nutella, cream cheese, anything extra chocolatey. This time I had some fudge sauce and marshmallow cream that needed to be used up. They did take longer than the recipe said to cook, but other than that they were yummy. A warning: these brownies are always a surprise, which is fun, but they also aren't ever the same twice, which can be sad. Another warning: adding random things to a tried and true recipe can change the texture, for instance mine were very chewy and fudgey, this isn't necessarily a bad thing, but if you're picky about your brownies you might want to stick to recipes.







1 comment:

  1. Mmm! These look absolutely amazing! Please come live with me! I will buy all the cooking materials you need!

    ReplyDelete