Monday, September 6, 2010

I Love to Learn

So tonight I'm sitting there with my crazy genius mathematician sister, and when I admire the lovely figures she's drawing, she starts to explain to me all about topology and classifying surfaces and shapes that exist in only a 4D world and why topologists can't tell the difference between a donut and a coffee cup. And you know what, I actually enjoy it, and even understand it a little. It reminds me of her letters and phone calls home from college when I was in 3rd grade, teaching me how to do modular arithmetic. And it reminds me of when I was in high school, teaching myself to do Calculus beyond what even my teacher remembered, just because I could. Now this may all sound very boring to you, but it reminded me of a me that I'd almost forgotten.

Along with my love of trying new things and doing lots of crafty type stuff, I love learning. In fact, I've always loved school and only recently discovered (after several people pointing it out and explaining it to me) that I'm creative as well. I always thought that I was a totally logical, analytical, left-brained type person. My favorite subject by far was math, the only electives I took were AP classes, you get the picture. And even though I've given up the academic university life, I will never stop learning new things and loving it all the time. Mixed in with all my sewing and cooking and painting and crafting, I want to study economics and history and biology and politics. But instead of sitting in a classroom, daydreaming during lectures, stressing about homework, and cramming for tests, I'm going to read and discuss and explore. Learn straight from the source: The Origin of Species, The Federalist Papers, The Wealth of Nations. I just wish there were more time in the day to learn and do absolutely everything!

No comments:

Post a Comment