Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Super Cute Super Easy Skirt

I was originally going to title this post "Cutest Easiest Skirt Ever." Then I made it and didn't love it as much as I thought I would, so I changed it to "Cute, Easy Skirt." Then I actually wore it one day, and I did love it after all.

At church on Sunday, I saw my friend wearing the cutest skirt I'd ever seen. I thought about stealing it, but it seemed pretty simple, so I decided to try to make my own.




This really is just about the easiest skirt you'll ever make. It took me less than 30 minutes to make. (40 if you count ripping and redoing one of the seams, but that was just because I was figuring out how to do it, even I couldn't mess this up once I knew how.)

I'm not sure if this is quite a tutorial, but I'll tell you what I did anyway.

What you'll need:

Two pieces of fabric long enough to go around your waist or hips or wherever you want to wear your skirt, without stretching

A piece of fabric as wide as the elastic when it's completely stretched out, and long enough to go from your waist/hips/wherever to your knees or thighs or wherever you want it to reach. Plus a couple of inches for the hems.

(Do you see yet why this isn't a tutorial? It sounds so much more complicated than it is, but I don't measure when I'm sewing any more than I do when I'm cooking.)




1. Hem the top and bottom of the skirt—the two long sides.




2. While keeping it stretched as far as it will go, sew one piece of elastic about 3 inches below one of the hems. This will be the top, so keep that in mind if your fabric is directional.




3. Sew the other piece of elastic right below the hem, again keeping it stretched as far as it will go.


This is the one I had to rip out. I originally sewed on the top elastic first, but it's much easier to do it in this order. I thought I took a picture of it the second time I sewed this piece on, but I couldn't find it.


4. Sew the two short sides together, and you're done! Have fun in your cute skirt.


No comments:

Post a Comment