Friday, November 5, 2010

Quilt Marathon

One day not too long ago I decided that I had fallen way too far behind on my quilt, and I foolishly thought I could catch up in one crazy day of quilting. I have to say though, I didn't do too bad. First, being the obsessive-compulsive planner that I am, I figured out how many strips I needed, with how many segments in each strip, and how to start it so as to keep with the lovely checkerboardness, and I made myself a chart.


Then I separated the segments into piles according to said chart.


And sewed like a madwoman for several hours.


Until I ended up with many many many strips.


Which I spent another few hours pressing.


Leaving me with beautiful strips, ready to be sewn round and round.


Here's the part I underestimated. I'm good at, and actually enjoy, somewhat tedious tasks (such as endless sewing and ironing) that take a lot of time but not too much brain power. Sewing the strips hadn't been too difficult, but sewing them together was much more so than I'd anticipated. It's easy to line up two squares, not so much when there's more like 20. But nevertheless, I kept plugging along (with much seam-ripping) and my quilt grew...


and grew...


and grew...


and grew...


and grew!


I didn't make it quite to the end, in fact the final quilt will be over twice this size, but you have to admit, that's a LOT of sewing in one day. Now to find time to finish it...

1 comment:

  1. I guess having to clean up after your lazy slob of a big sis has left you no time to finish your quilt.

    ReplyDelete