Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Cakes


About a year ago I got into cake decorating. So much fun! I still have a lot to learn, but it's easier than I expected. Fondant is great, it's just like clay so you can make anything. Of course fondant is more decorative than it is delicious.



I modelled this bulldog after one I dogsat for. It's people share my love of cooking and the Food Network Challenges that inspired me to try cake decorating.



A Dora cake for my niece's 2nd birthday. I learned that it takes a VERY long time to make a detailed cake like this.






And where is the Dora for this Dora cake you ask? Well, I also learned that it's not a great idea to save the main detail of a cake for last, when you've stayed up all night (literally, I think I only slept for an hour) making the rest of it first, and especially when you've never tried anything like it before. I did make her, but she's kind of embarrassing, I'm not sure I could even post it. But my second try wasn't so bad—stay tuned to see the Diego I made for my Nephew's 4th earlier this year...

2 comments:

  1. Since Eden is determined to have another Dora cake this year, you'll have another chance at Dora herself soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. holy cow....where are you when i need you? i had no idea that you were doing cakes. Oh..how I would love to learn...maybe someday!! You are very talented!

    p.s. i can't wait to read your blog. I will enjoy reading up and staying in touch. Goodluck in Reno.

    ReplyDelete