Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Piggy Party

I feel like it's been ages since I've made a cake, I guess I just got so used to making about one a week for a while. I still haven't even posted my May cakes, because Brian has the pictures, but hopefully soon. There were some cute ones.


I learned from experience and filled the pans much less than a normal cake pan.


Yesterday I went to a "Pink Piggy Pigtail Party." I can't exactly do pigtails with my super short hair, so I thought I'd better go all out with the pink piggies. And with my wedding coming up I need to learn how to use those mini tiers, because last time didn't work out like I'd hoped.


They definitely didn't sink like last time, quite the opposite.


I used the cake recipe I used a while back for Lee's birthday cake, the first time I stepped away from a boxed mix. Mostly because I knew that I could bake it almost twice as long as it called for and it would still taste ok, so there was no way I could mess it up.


Some bakers smash down their cakes to make them flat, but I prefer to cut off the tops, because then there's some to snitch.


I tried to do the frosting for the crumb coat without a recipe. Bad idea. It was really runny, which was a little hard to spread evenly, but actually helped it to dry quickly.


I've gotten decent at cakes, now I need to work on my frosting.


Then I decked it out with a quick batch of bubblegum pink fondant.


Just a simple dotty pink cake.


I've decided I enjoy making pudgy little animals.


No piggy is complete without a curly little tail.


I even won the Pink Ribbon for the best dish at the party!


The adorable award was made by Tessa of Perfectly Precocious.

No comments:

Post a Comment