Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Entomology Part 2

So remember way back in October when I found that caterpillar and it turned into a chrysalis. Well, it was supposed to come out in only a couple of weeks, but we kept it through the winter anyway because supposedly if they go into their chrysalis late they wait for the Spring to come out. After almost 6 months though, I was skeptical, and even though I was pretty sure this poor caterpillar hadn't survived sitting on our kitchen counter all this time. In fact, I probably would have gotten rid of it a couple of months ago, except that I didn't want to be the one to tell Dean he wasn't going to have a butterfly any time soon. Well, it turns out it's a good thin I didn't, because Annalee texted me this morning, and told me that it finally emerged! It's beautiful, and I'm sure Dean and Eden are delighted. I just hope it was worth the wait for the butterfly, it's supposedly past Spring and into Summer, but it still looks a little Winterish outside.


1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful swallowtail butterfly! It reminds me of the caterpillars I raised when I was 7. I'm so glad you decided to keep him all winter!!

    ReplyDelete